Birthday Party Decorations
They can be simple or elaborate. I’ve performed magic shows at several birthday parties for a one-year-old where the parents spent as much money as some people spend on a wedding. Other parents opt to keep things simple. What you choose depends on your budget and how much time you want to spend on it.
Keeping It Basic
There is nothing wrong with buying some themed paper plates, cups, and napkins. And, then adding a few well placed balloons. This keeps the budget low, the setup simple, and the clean-up easy.
Budgeting Decoration Time
For those of you who want to do a bit more, the sky is the limit. Just keep in mind whether or not you want to follow a theme for the birthday party decorations. You need to allow enough time to go shopping or place an online order. Also allocate time to recruit help and time to get the decorations in place a few hours before the party. Try not to do that stuff at the last minute, unless you get your kicks off of elevated stress levels.
Helpful decoration tips:
- A few strategically placed decorations are often better than having every square foot decorated for the birthday party.
- Spread your table cover on your party table. If your child has any theme-related toys, you can add them to the table for a more festive display.
- Cut several one-to-two-foot-long pieces of curling ribbon. Curl the ribbon by pulling it between your thumb and the blade of your scissors. Lay the resulting curls on your table for added color.
- If you choose to fill balloons with helium, wait until the party day to ensure they float well!
- Use balloons to mark the party spot; hang them on the mailbox, near the front door, or tie them to the birthday child’s chair to mark the seat of honor.
- Place balloons anywhere that strikes your fancy. The more the better!
- Gather six or eight streamers and attach them to the ceiling in the center of the party room (or over the table).
- Use a light fixture over the table as the center point for the streamers. To create colorful two-tone streamers, put two differently colored streamers back-to-back, twist as you walk them to the wall, and attach at shoulder height
Where to buy decorations:
The vendors on my Resouces Page offer a wide selection of unique decorations for your party. Party City and Wal-Mart also offer a variety of selections.
This tip is from our “Birthday Party Planning Survival Guide.” For more great tips, click on the link at the bottom to download the complete version (for free!)Download the full guide here
* Note that we are likely an affiliate for any vendors mentioned. Using our link for your purchase does not cost you anything, but it does give us a few cents in commission from any purchases. Thank you for your support.
Featured Image Credit: Pixabay
Need A Show?
I perform fun, educational, and inspiring shows for lots of families, schools, churches, libraries, scouts, and businesses.
Related Blog Posts
For more great tips, click on the button below to download our complete “Birthday Party Planning Survival Guide. It’s free!
What are your birthday party decoration ideas? Let us know in the comments below. Please show off your pics on our Facebook Page.
If you find value in this article, please use one of the links on the page to share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, etc.